Thursday, March 09, 2017

Stuffed Baby Bell Peppers


Instagram filters make even mundane things look all artsy! These are some baby bell peppers we got in our CSA box at least two weeks ago. I meant to cook them right away, but life intervened. Happily, they last quite well in the fridge. I supplemented with full-sized peppers in case I had extra filling (I did).

The recipe is Giada di Laurentis' from Epicurious. She calls for frozen peas, which I am not fond of, so I subbed in corn and baby lima beans.

I did not add any salt; the parmesan and pancetta add plenty of salt on their own. You can buy diced pancetta in the deli section; this is Safeway's brand, but there are many out there. I used to wonder why people would spend extra money for pre-chopped items that you could easily cut up yourself. Now I'm willing to pony up a little extra cash so I can get food on the table before 9 p.m.

The peppers turned out quite well! The bright and fresh flavor of the still-somewhat-crunchy peppers balanced nicely with the rich filling. I think toasted pine nuts would be a nice addition to the filling next time. There will be a next time because the Sergeant also pronounced it good. Hooray!



No comments:

Post a Comment