Tuesday, December 04, 2007

It's all about Me(me)

Dani at Blog Book Tours tagged me for this meme last week. Thanks, Dani! I'm always a little slow on these things, in part because they take more time to think about than my usual drive-by camera phone post. Anyway, here goes (with some minor tweaks):
  1. How long have you been blogging?

    About a year and a half.

  2. What inspired you to start a blog and who are your role models?

    I started blogging with the title "Kitt's Knits," to document the projects I was working on. I'd seen a few knitting blogs, and read Crazy Aunt Purl regularly. I wasn't shooting for any particular style or trying to emulate anyone; it was more of an attempt to keep myself motivated to knit.

    That didn't work.

    About six months later I decided to start blogging on life in general, as an exercise in observation and recording.

    I admire a lot of bloggers. Many of them are listed at right. And many aren't, because I haven't gotten around to updating my links for a while. Again, there isn't any one that I try to be like.

  3. Are you trying to make money online, or just doing it for fun?

    Just for fun.

  4. What 3 things do you struggle with being online/blogging?

    Not being boring. I don't have any illusions about gaining fame as a great blogger, but sometimes I bore myself with what I post. And that's just embarrassing.

    Not being too revealing. I try not to get too personal; I'm not a good enough writer to make that worthwhile. (See fear of boring, above.) And I'm a fairly private person, all this blogging to the contrary. I don't share anything here that I wouldn't be willing to talk about at any cocktail party. Sometimes I want to share more personal stuff, but I've been socializing online enough years (24! OMG!) to know that I don't want anything coming back to haunt me.

    Getting offline and doing stuff. The Internet is packed with interesting shit. Really! I stopped watching TV because I have trouble turning it off. I can watch garbage for hours. So imagine how hard it is to tear myself away from this.

  5. What 3 things do you love about being online?

    The Internet is packed with interesting shit. Really!

    You can make friends and win stuff.

    I do feel more observant, and a little better at storytelling. Blogging makes me pay attention to the stuff I like about my life. Taking my camera everywhere is like taking a buddy along; it's always more fun when you can say, "Oh cool, look at that!" And oh yeah, I'm getting better at photography, too. I think. Not to mention formatting in Blogger.

2 comments:

  1. Love the oranges! Your photos? Oh, don't get me on my soapbox about blogger photo formatting. You HaVE it, and I DoN'T! I tear my hair out at http://churchartist.blogspot.com trying to get all those photos lined up in some reasonable order. It sometimes takes me over an hour for one silly post, which needless to say keeps me from posting as often as I ought to. GRRR!

    Happy Hols ~ Dani

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not my photos; I just snagged then from Google Images to illustrate the navel-gazing nature of the post.

    Formatting effectively in Blogger requires some understanding of HTML and how Blogger codes its photo placement. If I want to be really precise about lining up photos and text, I build an HTML table. I edit all my posts using the HTML view, and only use Compose mode if I need to resize a photo.

    Happy holidays to you, too!

    ReplyDelete