Thursday, July 16, 2009

Eryngium is awesome

If you are looking for something hardy and showy to plant, eryngium is a pretty good bet. It's also known as sea holly, and there are many varieties.
I wish I could tell you what variety this one is. It grows to about 4 feet high and blooms profusely. The flower above is from mid-June. The one below is from yesterday. The flowers are really fascinating to passers-by and to bees.
The leaves and flowers are also quite spiny, so give the plant a good-sized space where it can strut its stuff without being in the way. I trim it back hard in the fall. Supposedly you should divide it in the spring. I will need to do that next year.

7 comments:

  1. Mine was not *nearly* as pretty as yours, so now I don't feel bad that I killed it (accidentally, of course). Didn't realize the taproot so big and went so deep. You wouldn't happen to have volunteer seedlings, would you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the color of those floweres! I'll have to look for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) One of my favourites! I'm not sure how much water it needs, my poor neglected garden hasnt had anything planted in it for a very long time, but that would be a lovely addition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is pretty wild! Looks sort of thistley in the first picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your close-ups are marvelous. What kind of a camera are you using?

    Dani

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got some seed for that for next season. I cannot wait to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete