Saturday, July 04, 2009

Thank you

Thanks to everyone who left such kind comments about Sophie. She really was a special dog.

Sophie came to me when she was two months old and I was living in South Dakota. My mom found her for me in Chicago after a long and careful search and drove her out. (That's Mom with Sophie at right.) Working nights, I had a lot of free daytime to devote to the training and exercise of my goofy little girl, and even after we moved to Colorado, I continued with advanced training, both voice commands and hand signals.

I think good genetics and abundant exercise helped her stay healthy as long as she did. The training and her sweet nature meant she was welcomed everywhere and admired even by people who don't like dogs. When her hearing started to go, she still could follow hand commands, and she knew never to cross the street without waiting for me to give the OK.

When she was three, I adopted another poodle, a 5-year-old named Doogie (that's the name he came with). He was an awesome dog, too. Twice her size and a big love-sponge. Sophie used him as a pillow, and taught him the Good Dog rules by example. His later diagnosis of heart disease meant two years of constant vet visits, myriad medications and a long, slow decline. Sophie was with him when he died in his sleep. She knew he wasn't coming back. She seemed happy to be an only dog again, so I didn't adopt another.

After my experience with Doogie, I hoped that when Sophie went, it would be fast. And it was. On Monday we were getting ready to go for a walk when she had a massive seizure and didn't come out of it. The Sergeant and I rushed her to the vet but nothing could stop whatever was happening in her brain. So I let her go.

It was a hard decision and an easy one. By that point, her life had already ended. Her heart couldn't take any more drugs and she'd likely suffered severe brain damage.

She lived a good, long life, longer than most. So while it was horrible to lose her that way, I can console myself that it wasn't before her time and that (hopefully) she lost awareness very quickly. She went from fine to gone in 20 minutes.

If there is a doggie heaven, I am sure Doogie was there to welcome her.

21 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your story with us about Sophie (and Doogie). She was lucky to have had such a devoted human that cared for her so deeply. Sending you big hugs this weekend and hope you can relax and reminisce fondly of happy moments of your Sophie.
    Elaine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful tribute, Kitt. I love all the pics-- sassy young Sophie, and her and Doogie. I'm not that much of a dog person, but I was really touched. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brought tears to my eyes. You enriched her life and she enriched yours. I really don't think there is any relationship quite like that of a dog and mistress. She'll always be a special pup in our hearts. I'm glad she didn't suffer a long and drawn out ordeal, but it's still a heart break nonetheless. I'll see you in a couple of weeks, my friend. Then I can give you a hug in person. Until then, I'm thinking of you. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sophie was a sweetheart. Thank you for sharing her story and all her antics. And, I'm so glad you a close friend by your side through this difficult time. Hugs to you, Kitt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a blessing for both of you that she went quickly, and while she was feeling good.

    Last summer, we were on our way to the vet with our 13-year-old Bronco for "that" appointment, when he died in my husband's arms in the car. He saved us from having to do what we hated to do.

    They are such pure souls, these dogs of ours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful story. Just a lurker making a comment about such a true dog story. I live with an ancient dog, and will appreciate him even more now. Lovely, lovely Sophie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. awwww so sweet of you to share your furbabies stories with us! big hugs:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's really a treat seeing pictures of Sophie then and now. You, too, for that matter. ;) Thank you for sharing them.

    Dani

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, everybody. If you have pups, squeeze 'em for me.

    Kathi, that's so sad about Bronco. I saw your comments on Patricia M's blog; so glad you're doing her seminar. She's a great person.

    Jen, looking forward to seeing you. I'll be there for sure.

    Stephany, thank you for delurking :-)

    Dani, that's my mom. She's never looked her age.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely essay and fine memories of Sophie and Doogie too. Wouldn't we all want to be so well loved, to live a long life and then to go quickly? Sophie was lucky that your mom found her for you, and you were lucky to have her for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to read the story of Doogie, too. Id been wondering if Sophie was sick. Glad that it was quick and she wasn't in pain - for too long anyway. She was lucky to have you. Sending big hugs and deepest condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful story. She did have a long and good life. It still hurts for the ones left behind though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry to hear that you lost Sophie. She seemed like a wonderful dog and companion. My thoughts are with you as you grieve her passing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh no. I'm so very sorry. I know how much you two loved each other.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm just catching up on my blog reading, and I am so sorry to hear about Sophie. Losing pets is just the worst, I'm sure she will be missed. I'm glad you have two new ones to fill your house again. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't been by in such a long time and I'm sorry for that. I'm even more sad to learn this. Sophie sounded like a lovely dog and having lost dear pets myself, I know how much our lives are changed. I have to tell you that my youngest son's nick name is Doogie, or Doog for short.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm woefully behind on blog reading and I'm catching up on some of your old posts.

    I'm reading this one with tears in my eyes. Such a sweet girl and what a long happy life. I'm glad she went quickly and that you were there.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Though this is really late, I needed to tell you how much I enjoyed reading about Sophie and how sad it made me to learn about her passing. Thank you for sharing her with us. I'm trying to catch up on blogging so I hope to see more from you soon.

    ReplyDelete