Thursday, February 10, 2011

Still processing

This was my Nana's Cuisinart, from the '70s, model 5A. It has served me well, if infrequently. It's so old that it doesn't have a pulse button or a "safe" design for the food tube.

The motor is still good, but the plastic parts have become brittle. Here's what I did to the bowl handle a while ago:
The Sergeant tried to Bondo J-B Weld it, without success. But I could still use it, and did.

Then a couple of days ago the plastic inner shaft of the main blade broke (I overloaded the bowl with frozen banana slices for single-ingredient ice cream).

Now what to do? I found a place online that has both bowl and blade, but together they would cost about $90 shipped. New food processors aren't that much more expensive. Still, I dithered, because it was my Nana's machine and also because I worry that "they don't make 'em like they used to."
Well, today I brought in the paper and saw a Macy's circular for their Valentine's sale. I usually throw all the ads right into recycling, but I took a quick peek through and this page caught my eye.

Could it be? Why yes! The latest version of my same Cuisinart, for $70 down from $150.
Says the Sergeant: Happy Valentine's Day!

2 comments:

  1. For Cuisinarts, nowadays they DO make 'em better than they used to. We love ours--we use it almost every day. We just recently decided to replace the one that was a wedding gift--the handle had cracked, etc. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's not Bondo on the handle repair. That's JB Weld.

    ReplyDelete