Friday, May 18, 2007

Tote 'em

Thank goodness for Costco! Not long ago I spotted these 12-gallon totes there for $6 apiece and bought a few, thinking they'd be good for clearing some excess books from my shelves for storage in the garage. (While looking for an image online, I see that Staples has them on sale for $10 apiece, so I am feeling smug)

Well, I've now filled 30 of them with non-fiction (not counting cookbooks), and I just got another 25 for fiction. I'm not sure how much they weigh full, but I'd say at least 50 pounds. I can lift them enough to stack them five high. (I'm using a dolly to get them out to the garage, though.) That means the movers should have no problem, assuming they're at least as strong as I am (god, they better be).

All the books will have to live in the new garage for a while until I can get bookcases built. Happily, my carpenter is still around and will take a look at the house after I close next week.

2 comments:

  1. You close next week? How exciting! Our older son collects books and we have helped him move a couple of times - always to second floor apts, of course!! Books get heavy fast. But I'm impressed you're in such great shape :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got about 3,000 books. Unfortunately, a lot of them will be living upstairs at the new house, so I'll have months and months of carry stacks of them up the stairs once the bookcases are built.

    ReplyDelete