Monday, March 12, 2007

Watching the detectives

While walking around Washington Park yesterday, I noticed they've got pumps running to drain Grasmere Lake, which left me with Elvis Costello stuck in my head all day. I wasn't going to post this photo (it's not all that fascinating), but when I put my iPod on shuffle this morning, guess which song came up?

So here it is. My understanding is that they're draining the lake to clear out some of the sludge and trash and restore the crumbling retaining walls around it. There was talk about installing a liner in it, too, to prevent excessive water loss, but I think they decided that was too expensive.

It's a lovely, large lake, and I'll be happy when it's all tidied up and full of water again. Miss Sophie, too, who likes to swim there.

No comments:

Post a Comment