Saturday, October 10, 2009

Ready or not

Winter is here.
Probably not for good, but this is one heck of an early warning. It's 20 degrees out and a light snow is falling, spelling the end of the annuals. When it warms up again next week, I'll pull out the cosmos and pile them at the end of the garden. Last year I left them in a heap by the gate and didn't get around to dumping them for a couple weeks, resulting this year in a big, vigorous stand of them in that spot. Instant flower bed! So this year I'll do the same next to the beehives.

Jackson thinks the snow is pretty neat. He came out and bounced around while Lucy stayed snuggled up in her bed.
I'll drag them out for a walk later and then make a pan of lasagna with the mystery squash from my garden.

Stay warm!

7 comments:

  1. I love snow and wish we got more here in the DC area but Oct 10 seems just a tad early to me. It was in the mid-80s here yesterday. Guess what I did today? I went to a beekeeping demonstration at the Patuxent Wildlife Refuge a few miles from my home. I think I gotta get me some bees.... guess who put this idea in my head?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We woke up to snow here in MN this morning too, and it's early for us. I like it, but I'm definitely in the minority!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam, it's not particularly early for snow here; we usually get a sprinkling or two fairly early in fall and then it warms up again. But the bitter cold is quite unusual. Broke a record.

    I hope you do get bees! They're very low-maintenance and fascinating to watch. And the honey's nice.

    Amy, I expect it will warm up again there, too. The skiers here are all excited. Two of the mountains have already opened for the season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you read Farm City by Novella Carpenter? I thought of you when I hit her bee stories. Great read, and often laugh-out-loud funny.

    Glad to be visiting here again. ;)

    Dani

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can wait a few more weeks! But I never get tired of pictures of your dogs in the snow :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Dani. Haven't read that. I'll look for it.

    Betts, me, too, but then I get antsy!

    Thanks, JGH. They're awfully cute, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete