Saturday, September 20, 2008

Nonstop raspberries

I picked my first raspberries of the season on July 16. Here it is nearly the end of September and I'm still picking them!
These are some seriously productive canes.

I took out a little container to fill for lunch, and it proved to be too small. I was obliged to consume a handful immediately just so I could get the lid on.
These last two months I kept thinking "I should make something with these berries, like ice cream or jam." But you know what? They're so perfectly lovely and delicious straight off the vine that I don't feel guilty consuming them that way at all.

10 comments:

  1. I would not feel at all guilty about eating them right off the vine. You are so lucky to get them that fresh!

    They would probably be good served on vanilla ice cream, though. Or on top of homemade waffles. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No guilt at all. Just enjoy them while they are there! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The word "luscious" comes to mind. Great that your season is so long. Ours is usually very short, although I DID see blackberries in late August.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am jealous. I would love to pick fresh raspberries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those raspberries are gorgeous...looks like I could pick them right off the screen

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite way besides fresh, is frozen and eaten straight out of the freezer bag. How lucky you are to have those berries. I would have died to have those canes you pruned last year. Sigh. It's debatable whether they'd grow out here though. I have to move somewhere easier to garden. The wind and the grasshoppers are winning, and I'm getting too old to fight them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nope, no guilt here! I like them pure and unadulterated best. Though on top of ice cream or waffles is a good idea, too.

    Dani, What I ripped out last year turned out to be not very much. Just a few runners that were making inroads on the lawn and flowerbeds. I didn't realize at first that you are supposed to cut them all the way back in the fall anyway. There are just four main plants here, but they're well-rooted. If you plant some starts and net them, you could probably get pretty good berries with a year or two.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh go ahead and make some jam, I would not have any problem taking a jar or two off your hands...

    ReplyDelete
  9. db, unfortunately there's never been enough at once to make jam. Especially after sampling.

    ReplyDelete