Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Another mystery tree

OK, got another one for you. There's a tree that I've wondered about in a neighbor's backyard, but I couldn't get a decent photo of it. Weird tree! Dark, thickly ridged lower trunk, but the upper branches are smooth and white like a birch. I thought it was an anomaly (maybe one tree sprouted from the trunk of another?) until I spotted this similar example:
Got any ideas?
Y'all were able to name the last mystery tree (a sycamore) quite handily, so I'm sure you'll be able to help me out here, too.

8 comments:

  1. Does the top shed bark like paper? If so, it's got to be birch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, not an ash, db.

    I know it looks like a birch up top, but it's definitely not a birch. The lower bark is wrong. (My photo doesn't show that as well as it should.)

    My local garden listserv suggests white or gray poplar (depending on leaf shape). Guess I'll know in the spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to suggest cottonwood (Fremont, specifically). But apparently that's a type of poplar. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree on poplar. You'll know in a couple months!

    ReplyDelete