Sunday, May 23, 2010

Garnish at the ready

I went to a lovely little Mediterranean-themed potluck yesterday. Delicious food, great company. I took a bowl of olives and some French feta with a spur-of-the-moment garnish: a bundle of blooming chives with self-tied stems.

Chives are so easy to grow, whether in a pot or in the ground. I have one shallow pot of chives that has been coming back for 10 years now. It sits out all winter and gets snowed on, and enjoys the occasional hose-splash in the summer. The ones in my garden keep spreading and spreading.

Having chives and mint growing outside my back door makes me feel all competent in the garden and the kitchen without trying hard at all.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Here in NC chives grow wild everywhere. (Even in cracks in the sidewalk.) It smells simply great when people mow their lawns.

    ReplyDelete