Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Not so foodie

I haven't blogged about food for a while, either recipes or restaurant visits. I've been so busy that I am not being very creative with my meals, and restaurant reviews require a lot of energy and commitment to be fair.

I'd like to get back into food blogging but it may be a while yet. I made chivda a few weeks ago, and when I was at the Indian grocery I saw ivy gourds. Manisha makes this awesome ivy gourd dish, so I got some and asked her for the recipe.

But that's as far as I got. Isn't that pathetic? I finally threw the gourds out after they turned to mush in my fridge.

I managed to assemble the meal above on Saturday because it wasn't complicated. Roasted asparagus and fingerling potatoes, New York strip steaks with the Gucci treatment, and bagged salad with the addition of some arugula from my neglected garden. To drink: Colorado Native Lager. For dessert: Safeway oatmeal cookies.

4 comments:

  1. I love local brews. Back when the Bricktown Brewery was accessible to the regular people, I used to love to grab me a Copperhead Ale. The Royal Bavaria had a microbrewery as well, and I loved their Weitzen Beer. I tried some Oklahoma Wine this last weekend at a girlfriend's house and It was good stuff. And in my fantasy world when I have bees, I will brew my own mead. I have fruit trees to use for flavoring, Crabapples, peaches, cherries, mulberries.

    I want to be a foodie. I guess I am a little bit in that direction, but I am not very patient in the kitchen. That is something that takes effort from me. And patience is very important for getting a good result from recipes.

    I think that part of it is feeling so overwhelmed. There are so many things to do. Food seems low on the list. So part of that effort is re-prioritizing and building new habits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly _looks_ very handsome. And what the devil is an ivy gourd? I know Donne's "belt of straw and ivy buds," but the context is non-edible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a lovely presentation. You set a very nice table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, sister. Making the time is the thing. Mead is sort of on my list of things to explore, but mainly I like my honey as is.

    nbm, ivy gourd looks like a mini cucumber and is the fruit of a tropical vine. Very tasty sliced up and sauteed with potatoes and Indian spices.

    I *will* blog about it one of these days.

    ReplyDelete