Thursday, October 13, 2011

Clothing swap

I find it very difficult to let go of clothes, even if I never wear them. As I flip through my closet, I'm flipping through memories and good intentions, and it's hard to send those out the door.

But an invitation to a clothing swap party is a good impetus to purge. There's a set date and you have to bring something. And the thought that someone I know might be able to enjoy my stuff makes it easier to get rid of it.

I took a big pile of stuff, recognizing that 1) I will never be a size 6 again, and 2) things that require ironing do not belong in my daily wardrobe.

I also took some curtains, several old purses, and shoes that I liked but never wore because they pinched.

Close to 20 women showed up. There was good food, and wine, and lots of happy rummaging. I was pretty careful not to look too hard for stuff to bring home. In the end, I grabbed some t-shirts and a hoodie. I saw some of my old things head out the door with others. Everything that wasn't taken got donated to charity.

And there's finally some breathing room in my closet again.

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea. And kudos for not bringing home a bale of stuff.

    ReplyDelete