Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Surprise, surprise

What with moving and unpacking and general lifestuff, I haven't had the time or inclination to do much gardening beyond maintenance: mowing and pulling weeds. And even then, I've concentrated mainly on the front yard. I let the back beds do their own thing, knowing that once everything dies back in the fall I'm going to rip much of it out, dismantle the raised beds and reconstruct the garden to my liking.

It's a jungle out there:
So imagine my surprise when I went out this morning to pick raspberries to make more frozen yoghurt and waded back into that jungle to find this:
Tomatoes!

They have to be volunteers; I know they weren't there when I moved in or I would have tried to keep them a little less choked. But clearly they are thriving:
So now I have a little harvest of toms, and a big harvest of raspberries:
I realized too late that I'd neglected to put the ice-cream maker's liner back in the freezer after I washed it, so no dessert until tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I like surprises like that! The raspberries look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure beats another kind of garden surprise: Oh look! Bindweed!

    ReplyDelete