Thursday, August 07, 2008

The whey to save

I'm off to pick up more milk this morning. I'm going to have quite the stash of whey; it's a little harder to use up quickly. I was hoping to make a big batch of no-knead bread using whey instead of water, but I'm not going to have time to bake it. So into the freezer it goes, triple bagged. (I hate to think of trying to clean the freezer if it leaked.)

I missed an opportunity to do another "wildlife in the city" post this morning when I spotted a hawk of some kind on the sidewalk in front of my house. Small, brown, not a peregrine. A bit of white stripiness on a short tail. I tried to get off a shot using Photobooth on my computer, knowing it would fly off if I stood up to get my camera. No such luck.

It's gone now, but the neighborhood pigeons are all freaked out. Their ranks could stand to be thinned, so I hope the hawk sticks around.

3 comments:

  1. whey to go.....I am so glad I was the first one here to be able to say that...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hand that man a tuffet!

    mbp, I have no idea. My guess would be less than a year, though. I'll thaw it later and make bread and stuff with it.

    ReplyDelete