Sunday, January 25, 2009

恭喜发财!

Happy Chinese New Year! Well, almost. It's the eve. If you were born in the Year of the Ox (牛), this should be a special year for you. Case in point: Barack Obama is an Ox.

If he follows Chinese country superstition, he will tie a red thread around his belt this year for extra good luck. Someone should alert his valet.

I contemplated going out for dim sum today, then remembered the holiday. It's sure to be a madhouse! Which is the preferred state of affairs for a Chinese party: hot and noisy, or 热闹. But I've got a bunch of produce that needs cooking and eating sooner rather than later, so maybe I'll go next weekend.

To those of you who are celebrating, have fun! Eat some jiaozi for me.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Chinese New year! In answer to the flax seed muffin question....It is not in the original recipe so you could leave it out. Flax seed has fat in it so if left out you might want to use white flour instead of wheat to the muffins aren't dry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippee! I'm an Ox too!

    Gung hay fat choy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, that anonymous was me. Jumpy trigger finger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Chinese tradition for the New Year is to pay your bill and clean your house. I didn't do either. Our New Year tradition of drinking yourself silly is much easier to follow.

    BTW, I am a dragon living with a monkey and a horse. We're all compatible signs. No wonder we have such a harmonious home. I think you might be a dragon, too?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, happy new year! gong xi fa tsai :) Sorry I'm a day late. Chinese New Year kicked my butt... We'll get together and make dumplings some time. xxoo

    ReplyDelete