Thursday, January 29, 2009

Quick dinner for two

Just because I like to cook doesn't mean I always have the time or inclination, especially when I'm running late for work. Sometimes this is my mise en place:
Yes, frozen potstickers from Costco or H-Mart make for a pretty good meal, dunked in a sauce of brown rice vinegar and soy sauce (I prefer the low-sodium variety). If I'm ambitious and not going to work, I may mince some garlic to put in the sauce, too.

Prep is simple.
Heat some oil in a pan (grapeseed oil has a high smoking point) and toss in your frozen potstickers. Add about 2/3 cup hot water, cover, and leave the heat on medium for eight minutes. Take the lid off and let cook for another minute or two until the potstickers are browned on the bottom.

Here's another mise en place, for a meal I make every couple of days.
Scramble a couple of eggs in milk, mix with kibble.

Voilà: dinner for poodle and person.
And no, Sophie doesn't get chopsticks.

4 comments:

  1. I've never had potstickers. I think I'll have to try. Sophie is one lucky dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeep. I can't bear the juxtaposition of the dog food (however thoughtfully prepared) and the people food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer, aren't they great? Homemade is better, but soooo labor intensive.

    Betts, they are yummy! Sophie is one skinny dog, so I do what I can to add interest. It still takes her two days to get through a bowl like this.

    Aw, Molly, it's just kibble, eggs and milk! And the kibble's probably perfectly fine for human consumption, too, if not particularly appetizing.

    ReplyDelete