Monday, January 16, 2017

Birchbox Is Kind of Fun

I don't wear a lot of makeup. Most days I don't wear anything except lipstick, if I remember to put it on. (Yes, Mom, I know a little lipstick does wonders.) But I love little samples of things to try, and Birchbox one way to get them. It was nice to come home from work on Thursday and find January's installment waiting on my porch.


If you're not familiar with Birchbox, for $10 a month they send you samples of makeup, skincare products, hair products and perfume, based on your preferences/beauty profile. It's fun to try out products you might not otherwise purchase or even be aware of.

This month's box was a little bigger than usual because I got a bonus for ordering subscriptions for my teenage nieces as Christmas presents. I would have loved Birchbox when I was their age.

The bonus was the Eyeko All Eyes Kit, which included brow gel, mascara and eyeliner.

The main Birchbox is a sturdy little stationery-size box with a nice design.
Inside were five samples:


That's cleansing oil (for removing makeup), a dry shampoo, eyebrow-defining gel, eye pads and liquid eyeliner (the same as in the eye kit, but that's fine with me). Fun! They're all new products for me, so I'm looking forward to trying them. 

The little sample sizes of makeup are especially good for me because it takes me forever to use up even that tiny amount.  If I bought a full-sized mascara, for example, it would probably dry out and get thrown away long before I used all of it.

The one thing I don't like about Birchbox is the spammy emails. They email you Every. Single. Day. I tried to find a way to set email preferences on my account to reduce the number of emails, but apparently it's all or nothing. I even contacted customer service, and they were like, "Sorry. That's the way it is." 

A co-worker tells me the app works OK, though, for when you want to customize the next month's box, so I think I'm going to just turn off the emails entirely. 

Do you use Birchbox or similar service? (I understand there are others out there.)

2 comments:

  1. I am allergic to talc. Can you tell them that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I don't recall anything like that when I set up my preferences, but you probably could. I don't think I've received anything that contained talc. What sort of products might it appear in? Dusting powders, I suppose? I'll look at what I've received tonight and let you know.

    ReplyDelete