Thursday, January 12, 2017

Down the Rabbit Hole


I spend far too much time thinking and reading and researching about crafts, and not nearly enough time actually doing them.

I don't think I'm alone, if Pinterest is anything to go by. Do you look at Pinterest? I've not spent a lot of time there because it feels like Too Much Stuff and I just get overwhelmed.

Ravelry (which is a knitting resource) is also a little overwhelming, but I use it to organize my outlandish yarn stash. Here's a portion of my stash, sorted by color:




I also like to look at patterns there, and think about what I'll knit next. Rather than finishing the projects I've already started. So many beautiful or interesting things!

I look at the patterns, then I look at how they turned out when knitted by different people with different yarns. Hours pass.

I wish Ravelry also had a means of cataloging my fabric stash, so everything could be in one place. Despite not being a longtime sewer, I have managed to amass a large amount of fabric, mostly quilting cotton. I should probably learn how to quilt, eh?

Maybe I'll investigate quilting once I'm done exploring shashiko embroidery and boro fabric-repair techniques. Which is what this post was originally going to be about, but I got distracted.

2 comments:

  1. I struggle too with collecting patterns and books as a substitute for actual making...I do truly love the books for themselves but I'm sure I have enough project ideas and instructions for years to come without buying another book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto! But really, I don't feel too guilty about looking and thinking rather than doing, because those are enjoyable and relaxing activities, if less productive. There's something to be said for not being an overachiever!

    ReplyDelete