Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Grocery store demystification

This post at Tigers & Strawberries, about essentials to have in your pantry for Chinese cooking, reminded me of a trio of books that you might find useful in shopping for unfamiliar ingredients.

I have "The Asian Grocery Store Demystified" and "Latin & Caribbean Grocery Stores Demystified." I need to track down the Indian one. They're written by Linda Bladholm and published by Renaissance Books. These paperbacks are small enough to fit in a purse or tote and provide a handy reference to the things you'll see in the store, or to identify ingredients called for in a new recipe. The entries are short and to the point, telling you how to recognize a particular item and how it is used. Many of the entries have simple line drawings. Photos would be nice, but I don't feel the books suffer without them (I can always Google a picture if I need it).

I always feel more comfortable and confident in unfamiliar situations if I have some kind of reference, be it a map, an instruction booklet or an experienced friend I can call on. These books have proved to be a true friend on my shopping forays.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh. Those look really useful. We have some huge Asian supermarkets here, stocked with many things I can't identify.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all for asking the folks who work in the stores, or other shoppers, what things are and what to do with them, but sometimes there's too much of a language barrier. Sometimes i buy stuff simply because I have absolutely no idea what it is but it looks intriguing.

    I found some really fabulous orzo-type pasta in a Russian market that way. I wasn't even sure it was pasta! But I cooked it up with some rice for a pilaf and loved the flavor and the texture contrast.

    ReplyDelete