Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Challah with chocolate-almond filling

I don't feel up to doing all the fancy formating right now (long day), so you're getting big, centered pictures of my Adventures in Challah. I think you can deal with that.

As I noted yesterday in the caramel pecan rolls post, the recipe came from "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day," as adapted by Jaden at Steamy Kitchen. Happily, Jaden provided another recipe so I could use up the rest of the dough with something different: No-Knead Nutella and Roasted Hazelnut Challah.

Well, I didn't have any Nutella on hand, but I did have a jar of almond butter and a 2 oz. bar of Sharffen Berger 60% pure dark chocolate. Here they are in wedded bliss, no roller skates and earphones needed:
The dough, as before, is shaped into a loaf and left to sit for a bit to warm up, then divided in three and rolled out into snakes, with an indent poked down the length of each one to receive the filling.
Then the sides are pinched together and the snakes braided to make a loaf.
Brush with egg wash, scatter toasted crushed almonds on top (I didn't have hazelnuts, either) and bake. Pretty!
Again with the close-up (see the filling there?):
I let it cook a little too long, since I was thinking it should be a little more golden on the top, but it still tasted quite fine. I don't have pictures of it sliced because it went straight to work and was devoured quickly.

When I make this again, I will use much more filling. Much much more. And get sliced almonds for the top.

3 comments:

  1. beautiful! slather nutella on each slice! i tried another one with more Nutella, but it just got really messy. I wonder if we could just put a layer of Nutella on top before the Almond/Hazelnut topping?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to stop reading this blog at work. If I get caught one more time with my tongue on the screen...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm going to try more filling anyway. Messy = finger-lickin' good!

    Or screen-licking good.

    ReplyDelete