Saturday, May 10, 2008

Not-scallion pancakes

In case you were wondering. Medicinal properties of Chinese chives:
  • Eating fresh Chinese chive helps heal bruises.
  • The volatile oil of chives helps digestion and resolves mild food poisoning from meat.
  • Children having excessive phlegm have bad appetite and breathing difficulty. Force-feeding them with a few tablespoons of Chinese chives juice or radish juice will induce vomiting. After vomiting, force-feed a few more tbsps. The phlegm will be expelled in the feces.
  • Mild hiccups can be stopped instantly by one glass of Chinese chive juice.
The leeks tasted much better in my not-scallion pancakes.
Thanks to Jen Yu at Use Real Butter for the recipe. I'm not documenting the process because I screwed it up with stupid mistakes and I don't feel like laying bare my kitchen faults in this instance.

But you should try these, with leeks or scallions. Stay away from the chives unless you're feeling bruised and phlegmy.

6 comments:

  1. Yum! I love these types of pancakes. They always come with Peking Duck and i've made them to eat with sauteed duck, too. just add hoisin and more scallions.

    I eat them for the mental health benefits only! everything else is a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd have to look up the medical benefits of scallions. The chives are a different critter. They tasted OK but were a little too crunchy for the pancakes. The leeks, though, were quite good. I didn't use scallions because I needed to use these things up.

    Sure could go for some Peking Duck right now. But it's not something I'll ever try to make at home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Children having excessive phlegm have bad appetite and breathing difficulty. Force-feeding them with a few tablespoons of Chinese chives juice or radish juice will induce vomiting. After vomiting, force-feed a few more tbsps. The phlegm will be expelled in the feces.



    Ewwww yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how do you make the paratha bread that good...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie, that bit made me laugh.

    db, follow the link to Use Real Butter. The recipe is there. I definitely liked using the leeks in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice looking pancakes. I had bookmarked that recipe to try as well.

    ReplyDelete