Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Thar she blows!

Woo, that was some wind last night! It was much worse close to the foothills – gusts up to 98 mph – but it was still fairly quiet in town when I went to bed. But it picked up around 4:30 a.m. and woke me. I'm guessing it woke these neighbors, too:
Luck was with everyone, though. The only damage was to the street light wire and a neighboring tree. No cars or houses hit.

When I was awakened at 4:30, I got up to stick a shim in one of the bedroom windows, which was rattling in its frame. I was also worried about the bee gum, but it stayed upright. I'm glad now that I had that tree taken down! It probably would've ended up in my living room.

Here's a video of the girls today (with some focus issues, sorry; I guess the camera has a fixed focus in video mode):

I learned firsthand the truth that bees don't like dark colors. When I first approached the hive wearing a black baseball cap, I quickly had some very unhappy guard bees circling me and chasing me back across the yard. When I switched to a light-colored cap, they mellowed out immediately. Some speculate that a dark shape looming over the hive means a hungry bear. Makes sense to me.

5 comments:

  1. Plus, it's always embarrassing when your bee actors look RIGHT into the camera (at 0:37). C'mon, guys.

    I've spent the week complaining about Illinois weather, and am very glad to get home to Denver, but I guess Colorado wasn't quite the mild and sunny wonderland I was envisioning. Glad everybody's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew! That looks scary. Glad eveyone was ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had some wicked wind on x-mas eve. Luckily, the power stayed on. Luckily for your neighbors, that tree fell in the yard and not on their house.

    Interesting about the dark colors and the bees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Joel! LTNS. Yeah, that wind blew, as it were. But no harm done at home, happily.

    Michaele, I can't imagine what that sounded like to the residents, but I'll be it scared 'em but good.

    Betts, power outages are no fun, as you know. Luckily they're pretty rare here. Knock on wood. (Though I did go three days without power at my old house one year after a mighty snowstorm. Thank goodness for the gas stove!)

    Summer, no trees down in your 'hood? I sort of expected to see a lot of branches down everywhere.

    ReplyDelete