Saturday, December 06, 2008

What's that smell?

I was in and out of the garage this afternoon, and all of a sudden I noticed this very bad smell. I walked around inside the garage, sniffing, then around the outside.

It smelled like something chemical, toxic, maybe burning. I moved the car out of the garage and started tracing all the electrical wires. I didn't have to look far.
I have two shoplights powered by cords off the central light. One of them had something strange happening on one end.

Will ya look at that:
It was so hot that the plastic melted into marshmallow fluff. Whatever that little doohickey is.

I believe it's time to invest in lighting of higher quality.

6 comments:

  1. You're lucky you found it before it did more damage! At least electrical burning has that smell to let you know something bad is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you ever see the original Alien movie? Looks like something that exploded out of John Hurt's chest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicki, I was about ready to call the fire department! At least in the garage there's no fear of a fire in the walls. All the wiring's out in the open.

    Oh great, Pam. I'm going to have nightmares now. ;-)
    (The second movie, "Aliens," is one of my favorites, oddly.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that's a bad feeling, smelling that smell. I had a similar experience in my condo a few years back. I did call the fire department - always a treat since it's a training department - and they bring all the fancy toys. With infrared technology they discovered my Insta-Hot tank was imploding. And just because they were having too much fun with their toys, I was informed that several of my can lights were of significantly too high of a bulb wattage and they removed & replaced the offending bulbs before leaving.

    Needless to say, when they throw a carwash, I take all my vehicles. It doesn't hurt that fire fighters are simply hot in general, now does it?

    "Come to our fundraiser. We'll come to your fire."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Titus, I sure would hate to smell that smell in the house!

    Betts, I am indeed lucky. I'm not sure how far it would've gotten, though.

    ReplyDelete