Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Fried green tomatoes, again

OK, revisiting those tomatoes. I chose some that were starting to turn a little pink because I thought they might be a little tangier than the ones I made last night. They were definitely riper inside but still firm. They looked more green than the yellow you see here. (There's such a variety of lighting in my kitchen that it's hard to get the white balance right.)

I rummaged through my cabinets and found some seasoned Italian bread crumbs, so I mixed that with a little cornmeal. Dredged the slices in egg and then the bread crumbs. For frying, I heated up some grapeseed oil, maybe more than I really needed.

Grapeseed oil is good for frying because it has a high smoking point. The tomatoes didn't take very long to fry and got a nice browned crust. I drained them on paper towels and added a sprinkling of Maldon salt.

The flavor of the crumbs and seasoning on these was much nicer than the cornmeal and semolina I used last night. The texture was better, too. The tomatoes were tangy and bright underneath. I can see that you really have to eat these as soon as they're cooked. Not something you can take with you for later.

9 comments:

  1. looks good, this was a batch I did last year
    http://alittlebitofchristo.blogspot.com/2007/09/fried-green-tomatoes.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's always green tomato casserole. Slice the green tomatoes (say, 1/4 inch slices) and layer in a casserole. Dot with little bits of butter, sprinkle with bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, and parmesan cheese. Kept repeating the layers, ending with a layer of topping. Bake until cooked and bubbly. Devour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never had fried green tomatoes, but sheesh, what I must be missing! These look heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are beautiful! I've never had them either but they sure look good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll leave it at two simple words . . . cast . . . iron.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessy and Mimi, very yum indeed!

    db, looks great! How did you prepare yours?

    Rooie, I'm totally making that. Frying them doesn't use them up very fast. Thanks!

    Joanne and Julie, now's the time to try them!

    Seth, I have a terrific cast-iron pan, but it's too small. I like this pan because I can slide stuff up the edges if it's cooking too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss growing my own tomatoes to make this ... on the rare times I can get green tomatoes at the farm stand, I make them very similar to you (including the grapeseed oil. I like the coarser Panko-style breadcrumb.

    Thanks for making me drool!

    ReplyDelete