Wednesday, June 25, 2008

When lightning strikes ...

... Grab your camera!
I took 172 photos over a 21-minute period (it felt like five minutes!), using the "night scenery" custom setting on the camera (which just allows for a longer exposure than setting it manually). This was the best shot. I did not crop or modify it in any way. Click on it to see it full screen.

I somehow accidentally set the camera to take three shots each time I pressed the shutter, which turned out to be fortuitous. (Now I just have to figure out how to turn that off!) The camera was on a tripod, and I used the 2-second timer to make sure there was no jiggle.

I got six other good shots. You can see them by clicking here.

I'm psyched! Lightning doesn't hold still the way food does.

14 comments:

  1. Wow -- those are fantastic. I've been seeing some spectacular lightning storms out here but nearly always while driving -- not conducive to playing around with the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Cool photo, KB. Our recent lightning storms have been much more run-of the-mill and non-photogenic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. The only thing that would make them better is if you had captured one of those lightning bolts hitting that Elisabeth Hasselback woman from The View square in the chest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everybody! It really was just luck and patience. I've seen cool lightning photos before and wondered "How do the do that?" Now I know it's not that hard, under the right circumstances.

    DG, sorry to disappoint you. Isn't watching The View a no-no on your list of "How to Avoid a Nervous Breakdown"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work, there! I took about a hundred, only to get 4 decent ones. Is that view from your house? If so, then WOW. Message / email me, please :) I have some questions about the area as I am still new here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW, what a cracker of a photo! (sorry)..you should enter this in a comp! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gina, har-har. I wouldn't know where to find a contest to enter it in, but I might have a print made for my wall!

    Welcome to Denver, Suzie! The view is from an office building downtown. Email sent yesterday.

    Thanks, Kevin!

    ReplyDelete