Saturday, January 09, 2010

It's only natural

After a few days of bitter, bitter cold, it's so nice to get out and really stretch your legs. The best place for us to do that is Chatfield State Park. It's a 20-minute drive, which is well worth it when we have the time. We only go on weekdays, though. Weekends are too crowded.

On the less-crowded side of the river we can usually spot some wildlife. There are lots of Canada geese, ducks, pelicans, seagulls and the occasional heron or egret. It's always cool to spot a raptor. I've seen this kestrel twice now, each time with a snack.
The picture above is from Dec. 12. The one below is from yesterday.
It's a treat to spot kingfishers, too, though I always get the kookaburra song stuck in my head when I see one. "Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree, merry merry king of the bush is he ..."

If I had a better camera or a digiscope I could get better shots, but then I wouldn't be able to just tuck it in my pocket for such walks. So I'm just happy the birds are identifiable!

2 comments:

  1. Doesn't it feel wonderful to get out with your dogs and to share in their delight of the outdoors and of life☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots! My tiny doggies are not liking this deep freeze and are looking forward to walkies again soon.

    ReplyDelete