Friday, September 24, 2010

Lakeside Amusement Park

We went to Lakeside Amusement Park with friends a couple of weeks ago. I'd never been, and I was sorry I hadn't, once I saw the place. It opened in 1908 and many of the rides are quite old. The signage is awesome; very art deco.
Admission was $2.50 per person, and most rides cost between 20 cents and 60 cents (I think that was a special rate).
The spaceship ride cost 30 cents. It was a lot of fun! You could raise and lower your rocket as it spun around pretty fast and high in the air.

Less fun was the famous Cyclone roller coaster. Allegedly there have been no fatalities on this rickety wooden coaster since it opened in the '40s. I have to wonder.
Seriously, I was terrified. There is one lap belt that we shared, and while I buckled it tight, I still came off the ride with leg cramps from bracing myself against the sides of the car, afraid of being thrown out. That felt like a real possibility!
But we had great fun on the bumper cars, on the train, in the labyrinth and on the Ferris wheel (with a crazed operator who wouldn't let us off!). We'll definitely go back next year. I'll get some more photos then.

2 comments:

  1. Wow that's awesome prices!! I discovered a long time ago that wooden roller coasters are just painful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been on the famous Cyclone at Coney Island and the damn thing is terrifying. Then again, I don't like roller coasters generally. But the way it rattles and shakes -- ooh.

    ReplyDelete