Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Nice salad

I love salade Niçoise, but it's hard to find a good one, at least in my recent experience. I've had salads where all the vegetables were completely raw (including the potatoes!) and ones where the "seared tuna" came out well-done.

I made my own Niçoise last week for the stitch 'n' bitch girls. It's not that hard, but yes, there many elements, so it takes time. Cook the beans, cook the potatoes, cook the eggs, peel and cut the eggs and potatoes, make the vinaigrette, wash the lettuce, add the tomatoes, the capers and the olives. And that's before we even get to the tuna.

The vinaigrette is worth making for any salad. It's from Epicurious. For the tuna, I followed Jaden's recipe, smearing the tuna with wasabi and sesame seeds. Manisha pitched in on prep and Jen helped me with the searing, since I didn't want to ruin the pricey tuna I'd gotten from Whole Foods. (You can use canned tuna, too, but I decided to splurge.)

It came out quite tasty, and looked pretty to boot.

1 comment:

  1. It was excellent! And so pretty with all those wonderful colors in it! I ate too much!

    ReplyDelete