On Monday night I thought I'd make a loaf of red pepper parmesan bread to take to work the next day.
Looks good, doesn't it? I baked this maybe a few minutes too long (the crust was just starting to burn). But that doesn't look like parmesan, does it? No, it looks more like cheddar.
That's because this is a loaf I baked today. Monday night's loaf went somewhere else.
Outside of a dog, books are a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, bread dough is Very Bad Thing.
Yes, Leo ate the dough. I went upstairs while the oven was preheating. Sophie and Lannie followed. Leo did not. I heard the oven beep and went to put the dough in. Found instead a small piece of it and lots of scattered parmesan on the floor.
I confess, I yelled. VERY LOUDLY. And got this look from Leo like, "What's your problem, lady? Can we go for a walk?" Meanwhile, Sophie and Lannie were both completely cowed. "We're sorry! Whatever it is, we're sorry! Sorry sorry!"
Then I called the emergency vet. "Is this a problem?" "Yes! Bring him in now!"
Turns out, raw bread dough is an incredibly bad thing for a dog to eat. Because it keeps rising. So you have a risk of blockage. And it keeps fermenting, which can cause the equivalent of alcohol poisoning, with liver, kidney and neurological damage.
So Leo got a shot to make him throw up, and then spent the night there and at his regular vet the next day for observation and with an IV to keep him hydrated. (Reportedly, the triage area smelled very yeasty, and they were glad I'd warned them about the red peppers.)
Happily, he's just fine, as the dog park photos attest. (Hydration? No problem!) And Beeb's getting back tonight, so she'll hear all about it before she sees this post.
I think I will dub this version "Leo Bread."