Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Calling all spinners (Or, Yes, sir, yes, sir, three bags full!)

This is Sophie. She hates the camera, but I keep torturing her with it anyway, to show you what we're dealing with.

Hair. Lots of hair.

My little alpaca.

You see, poodles don't shed, because they don't have fur. They have hair. Just like people and sheep, they have to get haircuts. About ten years ago, Sophie got her first haircut, at the age of 1. Lovely, long, puppy hair. I've been hauling it around with me ever since. Kept thinking I'd find a spinner to give it to, since I didn't knit.

Now I knit. And it occurred to me too late that the perfect use of Sophie yarn would be a dog sweater for Sophie. But really, she grows her own sweater every winter. And for the last two, seeing as how she's an ollllllld dog who gets cold easily, I've let her hair get extra long. And saved the resulting spring clip.

A co-worker who does occasional spinning says it's wonderful stuff and spinners would kill to get their hands on it. In the photo below, you can see the puppy fur on top and the salt-and-pepper old-dog fur on the bottom. Loooong fibers. (Click on the photo to enlarge it.)

I told my co-worker I was looking into one of the companies I've seen online that spin dog hair and she said no no no! Let someone local do it! But I haven't gotten around to finding anyone yet.

Some day!

No comments:

Post a Comment