Friday, November 09, 2007

Top-notch

A while back I posted about a roof style I found baffling. Here's one of which I heartily approve.
I don't know the name for this style, but it fits in perfectly with the arts and crafts style of the house, which I'm guessing was built sometime in the 1920s. Very Japanese-inspired Frank Lloyd Wright-ish, and I love that the homeowners have a Buddha by the door and other Japanese art in the yard. They are not the ones who did the roof, since I know this place was for sale a few years ago (I lusted after it then, too). It's distinctive but subtle; you wouldn't necessarily notice the house just driving by, but if you pause to look, you say, Wow, that's nice.

(On second thought, no, I think its newer than that. 1970s, maybe? I'm tempted to ring their bell and ask.)

(On third thought ... I Googled around and found that this was a custom home built in 1986. I'm guessing it was the homeowner's design and not the builder's, since what he's building these days is the typically hideous McMansion. This house sold in 2005 for $449K.)

5 comments:

  1. Looks like a beautiful home -- I don't know much about architecture, but I have a soft spot for lovely homes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Susan, hey Kelly, thanks for stopping buy!

    I know squat about architecture, but that's never stopped me from spouting off about it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's been a favorite house of a friend of mine for a while. The folks who owned it before didn't have the Buddhas and stuff. My friend always called the house "Bag End" because it reminded him of the low, earth-bound houses of Hobbits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny. It does look like a house a Hobbit might like.

    I talked to someone yesterday who looked at it when it was on the market (which it was for almost a year). She said it's very dark and cramped inside, and the rooms are really small. Which kind of bursts my bubble on it, but it still is nice to look at.

    ReplyDelete