Thursday, October 04, 2007

Baffling

I'm thinking this must be a custom home that someone is building, rather than a spec home, because I can't imagine a spec builder putting this kind of roof on. For one thing, it's very labor-intensive and expensive, and for another it just doesn't go. This kind of roof belongs on an English cottage-style home. The half-timbers kind of lean that way, too, but the overall effect is just wrong.

I don't even know what this style of shingle is called. There must be a term for it. Imitation thatch? Anyone know?

9 comments:

  1. Maybe it is to be a cool green roof?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, no, I don't think so. This isn't a roof designed to have stuff grow on it. I've seen this style before; I'll have to keep googling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found some examples that seem to indicate this is "false thatch," made of bent cedar. Here and here. The first example shows pretty well what I mean by English cottage style. Which this house sure ain't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It definitely doesn't "go." Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks sort of like the gills of a mushroom to me. And yup, totally hidjus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very different - don't think I've seen cedar like that before. On the right house it might be very cool...Do you think some people just pull photos of EVERYTHING they like and say "do it!"?????

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nah - on second look, I'm not sure there is a right house - it's just kind of weird looking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's a pretty cool roof, but yeah, not on that particular house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, I like the way it looks; kinda funky. But it also doesn't seem very practical. No gutters means rain and snow will drip off all around right at the foundation line. I hope they have good grading or they'll end up with water in the basement.

    ReplyDelete