Thursday, October 11, 2007

Hidden faith

Sophie and I expanded our range a little today (2.1 miles!) by wandering over to the other side of Broadway, where there's a narrow strip of blocks before the train tracks, occupied mostly by industrial-type businesses, some auto-body shops and the occasional cluster of tiny, tumbled-down Victorian cottages. I noticed a sign in front of one of those cottages, next to the alley: The Missionary Church.
Walking down the alley, I found this. It's a little homemade church, with an incongruously new sign with hours of services, and no other information. The train tracks (freight and light rail) are are about 100 yards away.
As luck would have it, there was a guy working in his garage next door, who told me the woman who lives in the cottage out front is a preacher of some sort, and has a flock of seven or eight old folks who come to services. He didn't know what flavor of preaching she does.

I can find nothing online about it, except one mention on a local religious cable channel's website, that the preacher's name is Dorothy Groblebe. I may have to investigate more.

The guy in the garage thought it was funny I was walking my dog there. "I usually go over to your side of Broadway because there's too much broken glass over here."

7 comments:

  1. Really have no comment on the little church, but didn't know where else to write this.
    I was visiting dlisted.com (a gossip site. No, I'm not proud) and there is a picture of someone's Teenage Mutant Ninja Poodle on there I thought might amuse you. You may have to scroll down pass the trash a bit to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That's just wrong. I'll post that pic here later. Thanks for the heads up.

    And boy, that is a trashy site!

    ReplyDelete
  3. [offtopic] Considering how prolific you've become :-D maybe you want to join this NaBloWriMo challenge?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh. I signed with NaBloPoMo a few days ago. I guess I can double-dip with this one, eh? Since I'm posting all the time anyway ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't see why not! Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, I emailed Amy, but maybe it's too late in the month to be signing on? It looks like a nice group, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in! So I think you should be in, too!

    ReplyDelete