Tuesday, October 02, 2007

For free and for cheap

Say what you will about Applebees, they're good about corporate responsibility. There's a huge crew at the school by me today, cleaning up the playground.
Painting the doors.
And planting up the gardens.

It's a really good thing I didn't know about this auction today. Several months ago, I had dinner at BB's on Pearl, and a few weeks later they closed their doors suddenly.

This is not the first time this has happened to me. I ate dinner at Micole in the same location – one of the best meals I've ever had in Denver – and a month later they were out of business.

Is it me?

Well, no. In between, the place was Lola, which moved to a larger location. Before that it was Greens, then Hugh's. Yet other restaurants in this stretch have been there for years and years.

BB's went all out on remodeling and stocking. Had I known about the auction, I might have come away with some really quality, hardly used (by restaurant standards) stuff.
Lots of great pots!
Lovely heavy-duty plates!
And French presses galore.

But I had Sophie with me, and no wallet, so I was safe. Darn it.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I love those heavy white restaurant plates. They're the only kind I can't chip when I put them away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - that would have been fun! And kudos to Applebee's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom called me after reading this post and said, "You should have gotten a French press! I don't have one!"

    Except I would have had to get all of them, Mom, and I already have one, that used to be yours, that you gave me.

    The upshot is I'm giving Mom her French press back, since at home I drink cold-drip coffee now pretty much exclusively.

    ReplyDelete