Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Check your trees

As the leaves come off the trees, secrets are revealed. This wasp nest is bigger than a basketball, and will have residents again next year if it's not taken down.

Happily, it's several blocks away from my house, so not my problem. If I see the homeowners, I will point it out to them.

This is also why you want to make sure any bare wood on your house is painted. The wasps will actually gnaw wood to make the pulp for their nests. I discovered that on my old house, and had to have some piece of trim replaced. A coat of primer will protect the wood from both wasps and the elements.

2 comments:

  1. I have a little wasp nest under the eave of my house.... hmmmm, but no raw wood I don't think. It'll be interesting timing disposal of it. I certainly don't want a bigger one next year - eeek!

    Will visit again even after NaBlo! I vote with your Mom to hold Pascal prisoner. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I wish I had your commitment to knitting.

    I would get rid of that nest. If it is still occupied, you can get some wasp spray (which you can use from quite a distance) and squirt it at night, then knock the nest down.

    ReplyDelete