Saturday, February 14, 2009

Lemon-garlic roast chicken lovin'

Thanks to Mom for this Valentine's chicken recipe!

Preheat the oven to 475. Take a plump, 4-pound bird, rinse and dry it inside and out. Salt and pepper the cavity, add a bunch of garlic cloves, a handful of fresh thyme sprigs and the juice of a lemon. Stuff the lemon halves in there, too. Butter the outside of the bird and coat it liberally with Old Bay seasoning.

Slice up a yellow onion in wedges, scatter it in your pan with more garlic cloves, more thyme, a splash of water and the juice of another lemon. Stick those lemon halves in the bird, too. Put the bird in the pan "boobies down" and roast at 475 for half an hour. Flip the bird over onto its back, reduce the heat to 425 and roast for another hour. Remove it from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes.

I served it with garlic mashed potatoes (I used garlic from the pan) and steamed asparagus. Cherry pie for dessert.

Happy Valentine's Day!

6 comments:

  1. Yum.

    Yum, yum, yum...I'm going to have to share this with Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my all time favorite - this looks soooooo delicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been buying the rotisserie chickens every week, but you've put me in the mood to make one with fresh lemon myself. I bet it smelled amazing while cooking, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And to you, Blue!

    Rooie, I'll bet you'll both love it.

    db, thanks!

    JGH, rotisserie chicken is easier, I'll admit, but it doesn't make your house smell this good.

    Natashya, Ina's got it right.

    ReplyDelete