Monday, February 23, 2009

Love your leftovers: Potato pancakes

How do I love thee, potatoes? Let me count the ways.

Well, I won't count 'em all, but here are two: mashed potatoes and potato pancakes. Mashed potatoes are so easy to make, and I usually toss in something extra. In this case, celeriac (celery root). I just peeled and quartered the bulb and tossed it in with the potatoes to boil. Mashed through the ricer with some roasted garlic (this was last week, from my Valentine's chicken dinner). A handful of shredded cheese. Butter. Milk. Nummy.

And then it gets even better. Mix a handful of flour and a beaten egg with the remaining potatoes. If you want to mix in some sautéed onion or some chives, you can do that, too. Put a dollop in hot oil, cook it on one side, flip it over and mash it down with a spatula to cook on the other side.
Serve with apple sauce and sausages or whatever else you're having for dinner. Or just eat them all by themselves. Crispy on the outside, creamy and delicious on the inside.

10 comments:

  1. one of my favorite things to make....I can almost smell yours and the nutty brown is tickleing my memory

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe-- i'm definitely making those next time we have leftover potatoes! yum...i love them with a bit of applesauce and sour cream! yum!
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just seeing them is a wonderful thing. I love potato pancakes. I think I'll make too much mashed soon, so I can have some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We always make extra mashed potatoes just so we can have these for breakfast with eggs.

    There are "my" plates again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. DB, time to make some!

    Kimchi, it's really a free-form thing. Whatever you like to add. And definitely with sour cream.

    Betts, I get hungry again myself, looking at them.

    Kathi, that's a good thing to plan! (I always plan for extra corned beef so I can make hash, too.) The plates are retro chic now, y'know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was inspired by your post so last night I made pancakes out of my leftover broccoli mashed potatoes. I served them up with an over-easy egg on top, with the yolk all running into the pancakes and it was AWESOME! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dill weed too. I love dill weed with potatos of any kind!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Potato pancakes sound like a nice way to use up some leftover mashed potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. James, definitely dill. It's great on potato chips, too.

    Give it a try, Kevin!

    ReplyDelete