Sunday, February 22, 2009

Run the Republic 2009

As I've mentioned before, part of my exercise routine (if you can call it that) is climbing stairs. So I've entertained the notion of doing this event, a fundraiser for the American Lung Association, but never gotten around to it.

Then my friend Maureen said she'd signed up this year but couldn't make it, and did I want to take her place? Before I could think too hard about it, I said yes – despite the crazy start time of 8:15 a.m., immediately after the elite runners.

Here they are, ready to climb fifty-six stories. That's 1,098 steps.
The No. 1 guy, bouncing up and down, is Ricky Gates, who also finished first.

Here's a video of the start:

Now here's me! Standing in line, waiting my turn and thinking, "Wait, why am I doing this? Where's the coffee?"

Because let me tell you, there were a lot of very fit people there, all decked out in their cardio-gear, heart monitors strapped on, calf muscles bulging, ready to kick some ass.

Well, I wasn't about to let my own ass be kicked, dammit. So, here's me at the starting line, about to step onto the blue mat that picks up the signal from a chip tied to my shoe.
And here's me on the 35th floor – more than halfway! – stopping for water. There were three or four water stations along the way. And cheerleaders!
Next thing I knew, I was at the top! I thought there was another flight left, so I didn't have my camera ready. Just got this one crappy shot of grabbing my medal.
I did it! And I didn't even need the barf bucket. (Yes, some people did.)

The view was pretty spectacular, and a photographer was on hand to document the moment. I got her to take a shot with my camera, too.
My face was pretty red!

Now, you maybe wondering what my time was. Ricky Gates, age 27, the No. 1 guy, ran it in 5:51. Cindy O'Neill, age 46, the top female finisher, ran it in 8:05. Me? I walked it in 20:50. Putting me in 26th place, however briefly.
Yes, those are just the preliminary results. Runners were starting every 8 seconds until 1 p.m., so if I stay in the top 1,000, I'll be doing pretty well! I'll find out in a day or two.

Thanks, Maureen, for helping me get my butt in gear!

17 comments:

  1. That's a very unique type of marathon! Congrats on getting to the top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool. That's the kind of race, I'd be willing to try. Too bad all of the buildings around here are 4 stories and shorter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was still struggling out of bed when you had already reached the summit! You rock! 20 mins is great! That's more than a mile up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you, KB! I force myself onto a stair climber a few times a week but am not sure I could have forced myself up to the top of building, esp. early in the a.m.! I hope the rest of your day was relaxing and didn't require a lot of exertion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Congrats on doing such an awesome job! :o) and even more kudos on not needing a barf bucket!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very proud of you! Especially with such an early start time...wow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done, I did the race as well yesterday. I had a coughing fit the entire afternoon.

    Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, everybody! It wasn't as horrible as I feared, actually. Probably because I wasn't trying to go fast at all. My only goal was to get to the top.

    Congrats to you, too, RunColo; did you make good time? I coughed a bit after but mainly I was just wiped out by evening and slept like 10 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My glutes seized up just reading this. Good job girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea and great of you to help out a friend and compete for her :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kitt,

    Great job! You are fit--what are you talking about?

    But.

    People, people. To Kitt, and Manisha, and everybody else who thinks that "start time" is "early?" Um....

    WHATEVER!

    My report time to work is 7am. Every stinking day! I rise during the work week at 5:15am. What are you people talking about, rolling out of bed AFTER 8am?

    *her mind reels*

    Kitt, you are awesome for climbing that far. But you are ALL a bunch of SLEEPY WEENIES!

    LOL

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amy, some peeps are just not fit for human interaction in the wee hours of the morning...mind you, the wee hours of the evening can be a different story.
    Brava Girl! You take control of the dark earlies. I'll take your baton when you are done...if I'm properly caffeinated!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for capturing this on video..Im the gurl in the white shorts with the group of Elite Runners ..it was great to be there I do the manitou incline and was disappointed I thought it would be longer!Next year Ill be faster knowing its not that long!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Denise, mine seized up after.

    Jenny yes, I'm selfless that way.

    Amy, two words: night shift.
    Well, more like swing shift, but getting up at 6 for me would be like getting up at 2 a.m. for you. i.e. 3 hours earlier than usual.

    Thanks, Titus!

    Hey Foxrider, glad I captured you! I wanted to get at least one girl going. The top came sooner than I expected, too. I thought I had three more flights to go. But I wasn't running, that's for sure! Next year we'll both improve out times ;-)

    ReplyDelete