Friday, February 06, 2009

Working out

I started climbing stairs in the last building I worked in, and at first I couldn't get very far before I had to stop and catch my breath. Eventually I was able to walk 20 stories to the roof without stopping.

I miss those stairs. Now I only have 14 stories to work with, and I'm too lazy to go all the way back down and do it again.

Here's what it looks like:
A bit on the Soviet side, I'll admit, but convenient to my desk.

If I get bored, there's interesting plumbing to contemplate:
I also wonder what's behind those grates.

If I wanted to play "Mission Impossible," where would that tunnel take me? (Ideally not into the jaws of slavering aliens.)
I feel reassured that if I run into trouble (or aliens), the building's crack security team will rush to my aid.
But I take my cellphone along just in case.

Do you get any exercise at work?

4 comments:

  1. I feel like I'm running around all day, but I don't think it qualifies as real exercise. I love the stair idea, but I'd probably have to drive an hour to find a building over 6 stories. I'll have to take to the streets walking (not to be confused with streetwalking) once the temps get over 10 degrees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I worked in second and fourth-floor offices, I did climb up and down the stairs every day. Now I'm on the tenth floor, and I have to admit that I've quit the stairs and started taking the elevator. I do walk to and from work (about 20 minutes each way), though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work at a Y -- so I really have no excuse not to work out. Also, our elevators are being fixed, so you have to take the stairs up to the gym and workout on your way to workout!

    At least you have some cool plumbing to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betts, running around all day qualifies, I think! Get yourself a puppy and you'll find you're walking all the time no matter how cold it is. (Having spent Sophie's first year in South Dakota.)

    Beatrice, 10th floor is harder to motivate for, at least when you first get to work (I'm always running late). But it's good for breaktime! Lucky that you can walk to work.

    JGH, no, you have no excuse! So are you actually working out?

    ReplyDelete