Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sumthin' tells me I'm into sumthing good

Really, is there anything better than dim sum for Sunday brunch? Talk about bang for your buck. Four of us returned once again to East Ocean in Alameda for a table full of deliciousness. You needn't worry about trying new things; it will probably be quite tasty, and if it's not, you haven't broken the bank. We loaded up and chowed down until we could eat no more.

The only dud was the beef balls, which were a bit too gelatinous. The salty tempura asparagus (in the foreground above) was a favorite. I love the mango pudding with sweetened condensed milk so much that I got a second dish just for me. It's hard to photograph gelatin! It wouldn't stop wiggling.

Total bill was $54, and we are stuffed. I think I need a nap.

10 comments:

  1. yum! I haven't had dim sum in ages. Have a pork bun for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's to you. Sorry. I have issues with the whole link thing....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had dim sum. That's what I get for living in rural Vermont.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lin, I had two! There are a couple of places in Denver you could try ...

    Thanks, Duck! I'll cogitate on it.

    Joanne, tune wedgie! I did it to myself.

    Betts, look for some next time you're in the Big City. It's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmmm, the pork buns! Duh-roool. Everything was so yummy. I have you to thank for introducing me to this wonderful food. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back in May, we discovered that we were dim summing on Alameda the same morning. It happened again. I blogged about our feast at http://culinary-colorado.blogspot.com/2008/11/super-experience-at-super-star.html -- different dishes, same wonderfulness.com.

    And Betts, as Kitt suggested, take yourself down to NY or Boston, or up to Montreal some time. You'll find dim sum in those cities.

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way, what camera setting did you use to take those pics?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those asparagus look interesting. I feel like making them sometime... They all look good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you like it, Deneph! The camera was dialed to macro, the shutter was on slow, and I adjusted the white balance. I had to bump up the exposure in iPhoto a smidge; a drawback of not being able to do longer exposures manually.

    Funny, Claire. It was just a dim sum kind of day.

    Blue, let me know if you manage to perfect a recipe!

    ReplyDelete