Saturday, November 01, 2008

Wolf spider

We went for little hike today outside Boulder with some friends. I need to sort through all my photos, but thought I'd toss up these two first.
Wolf spiders are said to be common in Colorado, but this is the first time I've seen one. That's my index finger to give you an idea of its size. (Click on the photos to see them larger.)

Wolf spiders don't build webs but roam around on the ground looking for prey. They are not aggressive but will bite if they feel threatened. The bite can be dangerous to a small child or old person, but it's not lethal, just nasty.
After we'd ooh'd and ah'd over this one, I nudged it off the trail with my foot so it wouldn't get stepped on.

I've been interested to see that my recent post on an orange arachnid has been hugely popular. There must be a lot of people out there trying to ID the eight-legged critters they see.

9 comments:

  1. Oh shoot, that spider reminds of the one that took shelter in the cellar one winter. I didn't go down there any more often than I absolutely had to because I never knew where it might be and I just couldn't bring myself to put it outside where I assume it finally went on its own...
    Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Click on the photos to see them larger." Ha! I don't think so, they're plenty scary as they are :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.. freaky... here's a photo I took today near Mount Sanitas just outside Boulder ... is that where you where at?

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ag73/2992948505/

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...aaand now I have nightmares. You and your arachnid photography!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marcy! It probably got rid of some cellar pests for you, at least. I would probably be a little freaked out to see one in the house, too. Glad you didn't kill it.

    Lisa, it really is elegant. Wolf spiders have a Union Jack marking on their backs, though it's not very obvious on this one.

    Happy belated Halloween, Vicki!

    Wow, Andy, that's freaky! Yes, it must be the same spider, on the Mount Sanitas Trail. I was so focused on the spider (so to speak) that I didn't pay attention to the other people passing by, so maybe I saw you without seeing you. What are the odds?

    Groovy, just keepin' you on your toes! Maybe you will become desensitized eventually and learn to love the creepy-crawlies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My parents have wolf spiders in their garage. I've never seen them in the wild. You are willing to get much closer than I am!

    ReplyDelete