Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Brunch at Mona's in Denver

I'm always on the lookout for good brunch places in Denver. I was hoping to try Beatrice & Woodsley, but they only serve brunch on the weekend. Lucile's was an option, but I've been there a bunch. And to Pete's (both downtown and in University Park). There's also Breakfast King, Hot Cakes, Snooze, Dozens, Waffle House, IHOP ... no shortage of options for a hearty start to the day.

Today we tried Mona's on South Broadway, a new outpost of the original at 15th and Platte Street downtown. The space is bright and open. It wasn't very crowded, so I couldn't say what the noise level is like when it's full.
The Sergeant chose blueberry flapjacks with lemon whipped cream. He added peppered bacon with a side of fruit.
Sure looks yummy! I meant to ask for a bite, but waited too long.

I ordered the corned beef hash with eggs over easy. I have to say, this was the strangest interpretation of corned beef hash I've encountered:
It was very chunky, with discrete pieces of potato, green pepper, red onion and squares of corned beef. It tasted good, though the onion was a little abundant and on the raw side for me. Maybe I'm just a corned beef purist, but I do prefer the more traditional variety.

I only just now realized, too, that my toast never showed up. Clearly I didn't miss it during the meal, but still.

I did like the coffee.
I'm not sure how long this location has been open, but it feels a little like they're still working out the kinks. I'll go back another time and try some other dishes. Meanwhile, can anyone explain the legs over the door?
Mona's Restaurant
141 S. Broadway
Denver, CO 80209
303-778-1111
Breakfast and Lunch
Mon-Fri: 7am-2pm
Sat-Sun: 7am-3pm

9 comments:

  1. I love a good brunch place too. Food looks great. Nice legs:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The legs look like something left over from Halloween. The pancakes look amazing, but you're right about the hash. Looks like a home fries/veggie stir fry combo to me. Do you have home fries in the west? If you didn't before, you've got'm now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Funny!!!! Thanks for dropping by my site - I loved the tomato beanies....I can relate making items several times to get it right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure I would have liked that hash either but the pancakes and pepper bacon are right up my alley and look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The combos and sprightly presentation look very Snooze-like. And THAT'S a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I had to go look up why a pancake is called a flapjack. I am used to the UK flapjack - which are more like crispy bars. I used to bake them a lot as a kid - with golden syrup! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm getting so hungry looking at your blog today. I'd even eat a pumpkin that's been gnawed on by a squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa, it was tasty!

    Betts, they look a little more permanent than Halloween, but maybe you're right. We do have home fries here,and I like 'em. But I was expecting hash.

    Thistledew, I got obsessed! As you know, it's easy enough to crank out a bunch if you're motivated.

    Fruitlady, I was tempted by the bacon, too!

    Claire, I haven't gotten to Snooze yet, but it's on my list.

    Manisha, I didn't know they were something different in the U.K. I'll have to look them up myself.

    JGH, ha! Go have a snack.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That egg on potatoes looks great!

    I've attempted to visit Snooze twice, once with another couple - but each time the line was around the block and we wound up at Mercury Cafe.

    have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete