Sunday, March 18, 2007

How do you like them apples?

Introducing one of the more entertaining tools in my kitchen arsenal, a very specialized and seldom-used item that nevertheless I treasure for how clever it is and how much effort it saves me when I do need it: the apple peeler-corer-slicer. With a passel of apples from Costco needing to be used, I decided an apple crisp would be just the thing.


I tossed the slices with lemon juice, a spoon of flour, and a healthy pinches of cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and vanilla powder, then baked them in the dutch oven for about 40 minutes at 400 degrees, stirring a couple of times, until they were softened and golden.
Then I spread them in a shallower, wider dish, topped them with a mixture of oatmeal, flour, brown sugar and butter, and baked them again at 350 for another 40 minutes. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment