Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Darned Denim


I posted a while back about my ripped jeans. I was contemplating putting a patch of some kind on them and doing sashiko stitching over the patch.

But then I learned about darning. And it happened that I'd ordered dark indigo sashiko thread that matched my jeans almost exactly.

The lighting on these photos makes the denim look a lot lighter than it really is. I wore these jeans today and you could not see the repair unless it was pointed out.

I had a solution for the inside of the repair, as well.
A friend suggested using Pellon Cloud Cover, a fusible product designed to cover up embroidery stitching on baby items. It's called a stabilizer, but is pretty flimsy and filmy for that. I ordered a roll from Amazon.


It fused quite nicely to the denim, helping secure and protect the stitches, and keeping the knots from being irritating.


We'll see how it holds up in the wash!

One of these days I'll sit down and write a darning tutorial. It really is a useful skill.

No comments:

Post a Comment