Saturday, May 10, 2008

Cheese plates and bubbly and whiskey and kittens ...

Sung to the tune, of course, of "My Favorite Things."

I got a few things accomplished yesterday (more weeding!), then met up with a friend at 4 for a drink at The Village Cork. I'd been meaning to check it out for some time, and I had a gift certificate for $50.
Well, let's just say I'm really glad I had a gift certificate, because this what $50 gets you: One glass of bubbly, one beer, a meager cheese plate and one stuffed artichoke.

I'm especially cheesed about the cheese plate. Six cheeses, it said, for $21. But how much cheese do you get? One tiny slice of each cheese. A sliced apple, a sprinkling of craisins, plain almonds and walnuts, and a smear of quince paste. Oh, and a little bread. The artichoke was on the meager side, too. I don't know what they use for heating (they don't have a kitchen), but this choke was still cold on one side.

The service was friendly and attentive (my friend was asked three times in two minutes if he wanted another beer, by three different servers).

I dunno. This place has gotten a lot of hype, but I can't see why.

I got back home with enough light for more weeding, and later in the evening adjourned to another friend's house for some whiskey and kittens therapy. Well, really, a very nice, peaty single-malt scotch.

The kitten is named Sprout. I like to skritch him upside down on my knees.
He likes it, too.

3 comments: