Sunday, July 27, 2008

Homemade sauerkraut update

I'm still here and not suffering any ill effects from my "big jar of poison," as commenter dg called it. (Go visit his blog, The Psychopedia. He'll do his best to slay you by other means.)

I brought the jar out of the cellar after three days (like Jesus!) and had a taste. It was very ... cabbage-y. But also quite tangy. Clearly the fermentation had taken place. Tried it again today. Tangy-er ("tangier" looks funny) and less cabbage-y. I think I need to let it do its thing for a while longer, and I think it could use a little more salt. I love sauerkraut, but I don't think I've ever had homemade before. It's kind of like hearing the concert version of a radio song you really like. It's ... different, and you're not sure if that's OK.
But I think it will be.

My post about preparing it is here.

Other recently tested goat-milk recipes:
honey vanilla ice cream
Raspberry ice cream
Mexican chocolate pudding
ricotta cheese
And an excellent use for the ricotta:
Ricotta torte with squash, corn and dill

2 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, the Jesus comment cracked me up! Jesus-kraut... (now I'm going straight to you-know-where aren't I?)

    Thanks for posting the info on making this. I don't think I'd ever have the guts to try crazy recipes like that without reading about normal people who did them without dying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, oaks! Never hurts to try. Until you get botulism.

    ReplyDelete