Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Top seed

About three weeks ago I was rolling through my blog subscriptions and saw a riddle from Kenny Point at Veggie Gardening Tips: What type of plants are wild but edible, cold-blooded, slippery, nutritious, and can be extremely valuable back home in the organic vegetable garden?

At first I thought it might be purslane (I had purslane on the brain at that point), but as a weed, I don't find it particularly valuable.

But then his picture of the ocean tipped me off: Seaweed!

A short time later, Kenny emailed me to say thanks for answering the riddle and he offered to send me some heirloom seeds. It wasn't a contest, he said, but I felt like I'd won one.

The seeds just arrived:
Wow! Neat! And packed for 2009, so I can plant some now and save the rest for next spring.

There's Kabocha Winter Squash, Sunset Flower Herb, He-Shi-Ko Bunching Onions, Cambodian Green Giant Eggplant, Empereur Alexandre Cucumbers and Rocky Top Lettuce Salad.

What a bounty! I hope the ones I plant now will have enough time to flourish. I'll just do a few this season, with crossed fingers.

If you like vegetable gardening, be sure to check out Veggie Gardening Tips. There's a lot of useful info there from a generous and knowledgeable gardener.

Thanks, Kenny!

8 comments:

  1. Wow! Lucky girl you are! Have fun gardening, Kitt!
    Keep us update with how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you I don't blame you for trying your hand with a few this year

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Asian market here always has great seaweed that I've had in salad before. It's actually very nice -- crunchy!

    And your seeds are making me wish I had a bit more space so I could plant a few veggies. I've been thinking of pots, but even those would take up more room than I have. Lucky you for your seeds! I know you'll put them to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait...you can actually plant seaweed in your yard? Am I reading you right? How cool...

    ReplyDelete
  5. We got their Homestead bucket this year, and their seeds are The Best. They also have kind of a nutty gardening forum at http://www.idigmygarden.com -- You'll be very pleased with these. Open-pollinated heirloom seeds, so you can save your own next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to know, Dani! Thanks for the link.

    Jesse, yes, some varieties I've not heard of before.

    Denveater, no, it won't grow in your yard, but it makes excellent fertilizer. Think kelp meal.

    Kelly, You can hang tomatoes, too, and let them cascade down. There's a whole school of vertical gardening, training squash to climb trellises and whatnot. Besides, you have that stove.

    Breezy, cross your fingers!

    Blue, I will definitely post their progress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh so lucky! can't wait to see the progress!

    ReplyDelete