Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Stitch + Linkage

On Saturday after battling the crowds at the Cherry Creek Arts Festival, I got to enjoy some creative works in a completely different environment. No crowds, no noise, no distractions. Just me and a few choice pieces of loveliness created by furniture maker Dan Sjogren and lighting designer Chris Armijo at Hinterland Gallery.
Dan makes furniture both the old-fashioned way and using a CNC machine – a computer-controlled router you can program to cut materials into precise and identical pieces. In this case, Dan designed and cut furniture elements using laminated birch plywood, then "stitched" the pieces together.
It's very attractive and surprisingly comfortable.
Chris creates light fixtures that are modern and attractive from a distance, and even more intriguing close-up. The materials are not what you might expect.
Yes, those are clothes pins.

And zip ties:
Paper clips:
And my favorite, whiffle balls:
I considered using this last picture for a What Is It? post, but you never would've guessed it, and I wanted to include it here.

Great designs, both beautiful and playful, from two talented artists.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, they're pretty neat. If I had a more modern house, I would be tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my. i love that furniture!
    we went to the cherry creek festival briefly on the 4th and there weren't crowds but it was SOOOOOO hot. the only thing we ended up buying was a pair of snowcones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting about this, I was wondering how their show turned out... lovely!

    ReplyDelete