Monday, July 28, 2008

Silly kitchen gadget No. 14

While hanging out at the "retail resort" the other day, I popped into Williams Sonoma and Crate & Barrel to see what silly gadgets I might find for this series. Surprisingly, neither had much to mock. Or maybe not surprisingly, since they strive to cater to the more discerning.

I did find one thing at Williams Sonoma that gave me pause. Like the New York Times Toaster, the function of this object – a wine decanter – is useful, but the form is laughable.

Does it remind you of anything?


In my search for images, I also ran across this ancient Chinese example: “Celadon Huxi (Chamber Pot) Western Jin A.D. 265-337” in a Shanghai museum.

Now that would make a great wine decanter.

4 comments:

  1. Not only does it look like a male bed pan, if you look at it another way it looks like a crouching animal that has been decapitated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant.

    I also thought it is made to look like some sort of long-necked animal. The tail is the handle, yes?

    Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OR you could use it as a really fancy urinal instead. Maybe it's supposed to be dual-purpose? (ick)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any way you look at it, it's sure to remind you of something unpleasant. Especially if you're a male who's ever been bedridden.

    ReplyDelete